STRATEGIC PLAN (ABRIDGED)
WISCONSIN INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, GHANA.
STRATEGIC PLAN 2017 – 2021
The Wisconsin International University College (WIUC), Ghana was established in January, 2000 and registered with the Registrar General of Ghana as a company limited by shares. The University seeks to deliver market-oriented training to students that will enable them acquire relevant knowledge and skills to contribute to national development. To effectively deliver on this mission, it was found appropriate to prepare a strategic plan to guide the operations of the University as well as provide the requisite focus and direction. Consequently, the governing Council of the University established a Sub-committee comprising three Council Members to facilitate the process of developing the Strategic Plan.
PROFILE OF WISCONSIN UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Wisconsin International University College (WIUC) was founded as the University College of Wisconsin International University of the USA in January 2000 through the vision of two men. Its creation was the dream of Dr. Buuck, President of Wisconsin International University, U.S.A., and Dr Paul Fynn who identified and decided to fill the gap in the provision of high quality market-oriented tertiary-level education in Ghana.
The University is a Company limited by shares and registered with the Registrar- General of Ghana. The University is governed by a Constitution and is duly accredited by the National Accreditation Board and also affiliated to the University of Ghana, University of Cape Coast, University for Development Studies and the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
WIUC commenced operations as a tertiary institution with only nine (9) MBA students in 2000 and as of 2014 had over 3500 registered students. It has expanded considerably in its programmes, physical structures, and staff.
WIUC has been providing degree programmes in various areas like Information Technology, Business Studies, Communication Studies, Development & Environmental Studies. The University also offers Master’s Degree in areas such as Business Administration, Environmental Sustainability & Management, Adult Education and Project Management.
Vision and Mission
Vision: To be the first-choice private university in Ghana and beyond with highly qualified and motivated staff.
Mission: To develop world-class human resources equipped with the appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes to meet national development needs and global challenges through quality teaching, learning, research, knowledge dissemination and collaboration with key stakeholders.
Our operations shall always be governed by the highest level of integrity, ethical standards and openness.
- Transparency & Accountability
We shall be transparent and accountable to all our clients and other stakeholders.
We take pride in teamwork as an effective mechanism to better serve our clients.
- Collaboration and Partnership
We will collaborate and partner with national and international management and academic development institutions.
- Excellence in Service Delivery
The ‘quest for excellence’ challenges us to be rigorous and innovative in our teaching and research.
- Customer Satisfaction
Clients/customers/students are the basis for the existence of the University. Their ultimate satisfaction is most paramount in whatever we do.
WIUC Organizational Setup
The Wisconsin University College is headed by the Chancellor, who provides general direction to the University College. WIUC is governed by a Governing Council, a Board of Directors and an Academic Board.
The Governing Council is composed as follows:
- Four representatives of shareholders, one of whom is the Chairman of Council.
- The Vice-Chancellor.
- Pro Vice-Chancellor(ex-officio).
- One representative of the University of Ghana.
- One representative of the University of Cape Coast.
- One representative of the University for Development Studies.
- One representative of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology.
- One representative of the Academic Staff.
- One representative of Students.
- One representative of Alumni.
- One representative of any professional body to which the University is affiliated.
The following Boards/Committees serve directly under the Council.
- Academic Board.
- Appointments and Promotions Board.
- Management Committee.
The membership and functions of Boards and Committees are defined by the Statutes of the University College.
The Vice-Chancellor is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the University.
The following key officers are responsible to the Vice-Chancellor:
- Pro-Vice Chancellor
- Director Academic Affairs
- Deans of Schools/Faculties
- Director of Finance
- Director of Works & Maintenance
- Director of Marketing and Public Affairs
Current Programmes of Study
The University College offers the following programmes:
Faculty of Law
- Bachelor of Laws(LLB)
School of Computing and Technology
– Business Computing
- Bachelor of Science (Management & Computer Studies)
- Bachelor of Science (Computing & Actuarial Science)
– Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Information Technology)
- Diploma in Information Technology
– Mathematics Application
— Wisconsin Business School
(Weekend option exists for Business students)
– Department of General Business Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (Business Studies)
- Bachelor of Arts (General Business)
– Department of Management Studies
- Bachelor of Arts ( Business Studies)
- Bachelor of Arts (Human Resource Management)
- Bachelor of Arts Business Studies, Marketing
– Department of Accounting, Finance & Banking
- Bachelor of Arts Business Studies, Banking & Finance
- Bachelor of Arts Business Studies, Accounting
- Bachelor of Science, Accounting
– Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts (Development and Environmental Studies)
- Bachelor of Science (Economics)
– School of Communication Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (Communication Studies)
– School of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science (Nursing)
- Bachelor of Science (Community Health Nursing)
- Bachelor of Science (Midwifery)
School of Research and Graduate Studies
– Master of Business Administration
(Saturday only & Evenings)
- Human Resource Management
- Project Management
- Management Information Systems
MSc Environmental Sustainability & Management
– MA Adult Education
- Community Development
- Human Resource Development
- Concordia University Irvine (CUI), California, USA
- Azuza Pacific University, CA, USA
- MA Global Leadership
– Professional and Certificate Courses
- Certificate in Music
- Certificate in Health and Safety Management
- Certificate in Christian Formation Leadership
- Certificate in Sign Language
— Extra Mural Unit
- Certificate in Paralegal Studies
- Certificate in Security Management, Forensics and Investigative Psychology